March 16, 2009

Tomatos

I'm growing some organic beefstake tomatos this year - which I'm super excited about. I've already been growing the babies inside for about 4 weeks and they're about ready to go outside.
A few tips that I learned recently that I'm going to apply this year are that when I put them in the ground, I'm going to use a stake instead of a cage. I'll attach the plant right above it's lowest branches with twine to the stake. My choice for stakes are bamboo - only because I have plenty of them in my garage. As the plant grows, move the twine up the post.
The second tip to follow is , as the plant grows, remove the suckers that grow up in the center of the plant. They take energy from the plant and apparently aren't productive.
Oh, and keep your eye out for hornworms - they can destroy a tomato plant overnight! Just pick them off and get rid of them.
Happy gardening-
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

No comments: