July 17, 2008

Peppermint

I have a large pot of peppermint on my patio, right outside my back door. It smells wonderful when I walk out the door. Anyway, I tried to grow thyme with it ~ NOT a good idea, ladies and gents, the peppermint is a pushy fella. He's crushing out my poor little thyme! I knew this when I planted them, but I figured if I kept on top of harvesting the peppermint and drying it for teas and such on a regular basis that I could keep it under control. Umm, no.

A good way of keeping peppermint in its place, or so I've read..haven't tried (obviously), is to plant it with the pot under the soil. The idea being that the roots would be contained and it wouldn't be able to spread. I, personally, would prefer to just give it its very own pot to take over and flourish and run amok like nature intended. Next time...

If you have an upset tummy, pop and couple of peppermint leaves into your mouth or drink some peppermint tea to soothe it. The smell of peppermint is also a great pick-me-up ~ and the beautiful green of the fresh leaves really are lovely..

No comments: